Don't Disable Local Time Sync

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:38 AM
I read the release notes today and there was a mention of disabling the local time service.

I think that's a bit extreme. Don't you? Seems like it would have the effect of turning off a service that was enabled precisely to keep the computer's time accurate.

Instead why not assume that if the local time sync is active then the local time is accurate. Then use the local clock instead of a remote clock.
Coordinator
Jul 18, 2014 at 1:00 AM
Edited Jul 18, 2014 at 1:03 AM
You did not read the notes carefully enough. Parsec does not disable local time sync. It turns off the service which will be restarted the next time windows is scheduled to synchronize.

By default, Windows has a task scheduled in task scheduler that will sync the system clock once every two weeks. When this sync occurs the Windows Time Service is started. The windows time service is by default is set to manual startup which means it does not run when windows starts. The service starts up, syncs the clock and then continues to run for no reason. Not only does it continue to run for no reason but it also locks the port from being used by other software.

Everyone has internet time sync enabled but most system clocks drift several seconds between syncing. So unless you manually schedule more time syncs in task scheduler your clock will be several seconds off most of the time. This makes parsec timers pretty worthless, which is why I introduced the time sync logic inside parsec.

The problem was that if someone ran parsec after their clock was synced but before they rebooted they would get an error about time sync failing.

My solution is to shut down the service that is locking the port. Again, I will repeat that the service is not doing anything. However, you certainly have the option to deny parsec the right to shut the service down and you can disable time syncing and Parsec will never ask you to shut down the service again. But if you do that then dont expect timers to be very accurate.
Jul 18, 2014 at 1:16 AM
I haven't noticed a problem with it since the update. I was worried because some of us run non-default time sync settings with an in-house AD Windows Server or a Linux machine running ntpd. That would mean that the machine is continuously synchronized to the correct time.

Although it looks like I forgot to reset my sync to NTP after upgrading my desktop to Windows 8 from 7. So I may notice something after I fix that.

If I notice a problem I'll do what you said and deny the shutdown. That sounds like a good solution.
Coordinator
Jul 18, 2014 at 2:07 AM
To disable time syncing go to File > Settings > Time Sync then uncheck Enable Time Server Syncing

Parsec will then use your local time with no additional offset or connection to a Time Server.