PC Hardlocks with app

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:25 PM
Edited Jan 11, 2014 at 8:27 PM
Ok so Parsec Hardlock my pc after few minutes of be connected to raid channel. with a Voice chat app up and running connected to server.

Now this problem is exactly like the problem of Firefox Hardlocking people pc's that use Nvidia gpu/drivers When ever Firefox has HW acceleration enabled, This is reproduce by demand by people effect by these hard lock of pc or atlest it has been for me for better part of 1 or 2, by running any voice chat app connected to server, then Opening FF with HW acceleration enabled Fire fox will pretty much hard lock said pc to the people that are effect by this issue, Now turning off HW acceleration in FF will stop this from happen.

But seeing parsec is doing the same hard locks when ever Voice chat app is running and connect to server and parsec is connected to raid channel.

I am thinking parsec is using hw acceleration akin to that of Firefox HW or code simlar to it, and if so i would ask for way to disable hw acceleration in parsec. As these hardlock produce no error or events in windows event view much like the hard lock of FF. which why nvidia has yet to fix the issue which has been going for year or 2 now. So people are effect other are any the only work around for this is disabling hw acceleration in FF
Coordinator
Jan 20, 2014 at 6:19 PM
This was addressed in an Issue thread but I will repeat it here for posterity.

It appears that certain NVIDIA video drivers have serious issues with hardware acceleration in windows apps including WPF .NET apps which Parsec is. In the next version an option is available to use software rendering in the hopes that this will allow those who experience this problem to co9ntinue to use parsec. Others should avoid using this setting unless they have serious performance issues.
Feb 8, 2014 at 1:48 AM
update is that Hw Accleration disable option didnt stop the hard lock, I thank you for trying to see if it fixed it for me
Coordinator
Feb 9, 2014 at 8:54 PM
I am not sure Microsoft has fully implemented the ability to convert to software rendering. It seems that in the past few iterations of the .NET framework this functionality has changed several times. I have my doubts that the code that is behind the switch is actually doing anything at all.

Did you restart Parsec after you made the change?
Feb 9, 2014 at 9:51 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2014 at 9:53 PM
First thing i did when I install .26 was click disable HW acceleration, then 10 seconds later I had hardlock (hardlocks only accrue when some Voice Chat program is upand connected. Upon getting my PC up I when into Parsec and check to see if disable HW acceleration is was checked it was. I closed it and opened it agian, and opend up voice chat program like ts and was greeted with hardlock again.

IF it actual is disable HW accleration it dont help IF it is not seeing you not sure then I wont know till we sure it atucally disable HW Acceleration.

All I know this hardlock ONLY happen for me with HW Accelertion enabled in things like FF with VOice chat up and running. Which why I think its the hw accleration to being with.

One day I will break down do fresh install of Win7 but I not about to do that for something like this. I will how ever keept testing newier verisons if you make changes that get to work or if you can conferm it disabled. I know nothing about programing I just know Disable HW acclertation in FF keep my system from hardlock with Voice chat up and running.

And the issue to do in some way to nvidia drivers. that seem to affect some people and not others.
Coordinator
Feb 10, 2014 at 2:40 AM
Well The setting does not take effect until after you restart Parsec. However, it sounds like you did restart after a lock and it still occurred.

My doubts come from not having any way to confirm that HW Acceleration is actually disabled. I see no difference graphically or performance wise so it is hard to tell if the setting actually does anything in .net at all.
Feb 10, 2014 at 3:05 AM
Yah I can say the same thing about HW accelerations in FF I dont see a difference with it on or off performance wise. I just know it stops my hardlocks With TS/Vent/Mumble all those voice chats up an running connected to server soon as I open FF with HW acceleration on FF pretty much hardlock my PC, Turn it off No problems with hardlocks Which is the only thing I have to compare this too And I know the FF hardlocking is nvidia issue that effect some people.

I honestly know of no other way of cause these hardlocks other then HW accelerations being involed in some way. Then again IE/Chrome browsers dont seem to cause me hardlocks with Voice chat programs up t,But I also rarely use those other then for tests. Which why I thought it was using FF verison of HW acceleration.

I will test new builds if you make tweaks or fine way to confirm HW acceleration is disabled.
Feb 24, 2014 at 8:11 PM
Edited Feb 24, 2014 at 8:13 PM
Ok i done more testing and I can now confirm Disable HW is doing nothing.

And here is how
Open EVGA precision x on desktop you (660gtx)

desktop idle speed 320mhz
Open parsec 1000mhz
close parsec 320mhz

did this 5 times same effect I Set Disable HW and close and open parsec 5 times with it still checked HW acceleration is being used regardless if disabled HW is checked or uncheck parsec put gpu in 3d state regualess so HW accleration is on.

How i know HW acceleration is not being disable is simple by using this test

In FF if i disable HW acceleration
320mhz in both desktop and FF

If HW acceleration is on

320mhz desktop/idle spikes 1000mhz soon FF opens and it goes back down till it need more power.

FF default Adaptive power when HW is used. and force Max performance use to keep the locks from happen they no longer do

And even if I make NV profile for the program (parsec) and force to use adaptive/MAX it makes no difference in locks.

I hope this in some way helps you find way to disable hw acceleration in this parsec, I would like to use seeing it what my guild uses
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2014 at 4:01 PM
I did some similar testing and found that the .net setting is actually working for the majority of the application. I used MSI Afterburner to monitor GPU usage. When the HW acceleration is enabled in Parsec the GPU usage spikes to 20% when I open pop outs then levels back to 0. When the HW acceleration is disabled there is no spike.

I tested several variations of this and found that the setting is working for the majority of Parsec. The setting is being applied across the entire Parsec Process but Parsec uses an open source web browser component called Awesomium to display the combat log. This web browser component actually launches its own process. I believe this might be the source of the actual problem. I have looked into forcing software rendering in the browser component process but this does not look like it will be straightforward.

It would be helpful if you could let me know if you still get hard locks even if you do not have the Combat log tab visible?
Feb 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM
Edited Feb 28, 2014 at 5:44 PM
As far as I can tell I so long as combat log is tab is not click it does not not lock ( based off about 5 minutes of it running with voice chat up and running) ingeneral when I getting the lock every tab is left as is when first opened I just click a the pop outs

by default If I have a voice chat up and running connected to server and open parsec it will hardlock my pc with seconds of it up and running (release notes still up) behind that is the combat log as program defualts it to that tab. and if it not instant usual with in the first 2-3 minutes it running it lock the pc . I had it lock up when I in raid manager.

As for usage in precision x its nominal for me whether it has HW acceleration on or disable which is to say 0-3% usage at most no matter what tab or if i have pop outs. What I am looking at is the clock speeds

At desktop I get 320ish mhz nothing open, Open prasec I jump to full clock speeds 1050mhz ( NVCP gobal profile is set to per max performance) give or take. shut it off and it back 320ish.

Compared FF HW

Desktop 320mhz open FF jump to 1050 mhz but back down to 320mhz cause by defualt NVCP profile has FF set to adaptive power. If FF HW acceleration is disabled gpu clocks stay at 320mhz.

I am aware of the awesomiun process unless that is based off a OLD verison of FLASH (i know Flash has this issue of locking pc up while back) this been fixed and i actual have flash HW acceleration in that enabled that or based off the HW acceleration code FF used. I do know flash use 2 process much like awesomium, but other then that no clue as i would have no way of test if that process is using hw acceleration anyway

Again this only thing I know is having Voice chat up and running connected to server and opening FF with hw acceleration is only way I EVER been able to reproduce these hard locks pretty much on demand or with in seconds untill parsec. ( key part here is program works great so long as i dont have any voice chats going) i dont know how or why just know HW acceleration from FF and now parsec dont seem agree with any voice chat program up and running.
this the main reason why i dont have HW acceleration enabled in FF on my pc haven't had it enabled for 3+ years.

I dont know if this helps or not but
i7 920@stock
X58 evga sli le
evga 660gtx sig 2 ftw (321.84)

now for all i know I could format my pc and start a new and this could all stop in these circumstances but I find that unlikely and i not about format my PC just to test that cause in all this time no game no stress testing of hardware ever hardlocked my pc, I thank you for looking in to this and I willing to help in anyway I can if you are willing to continue looking into this. I just not gona format my pc for this .
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2014 at 8:29 PM
Just FYI, Awesomium is a .net wrapper around the google chromium open source browser.
Mar 1, 2014 at 1:01 AM
If that is the same thing and google chrome browser then i dont know cause HW accleration on in chrome did not hardlock my pc when voice chat stuff open atlest it didnt when i test with chrome.
Mar 11, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Update i just tried .27 I can confirm HW acceleration now is actual disabled when checked, with it disabled GPU stays at idles speeds with it enabled gpu full speed, And as far as i can tell I can now use Voice chat programs, and open parsec and no long have instant lock up. and actual ran more then 5 minutes with out lock up too which longest i ever had parsec and voice chat up with out locking

It looks like you have fixed the issue i was having IF it does happen again I will update the post. But it step in the right direction and hopeful fixed now. I thank you for looking into this and try to accommodate me
Dec 22, 2014 at 6:28 PM
I know this is old but i just like to let DrewCreny know I found out that cause of all this after 5 years of always having issue with HW acceleration,

It was Realtek audio drivers that cause, Every driver from 2010 up until r275 audio have cause this issue, with r275 hardlock are gone, I am unable to reproduce this hardlock now. That is with TS3 or any Voicechat app up and running, while having Firefox open and 5 other know apps running all once that would cause instant hardlock IF HW acceleration was enabled. And so far not single hardlock.

For 5 + years i thought this issue was cause of the few slightly "bent" pin my motherboard, but turned it was 5 years of bad realtek drivers that JUST recently have been fixed...

Aviod Realtek anything at all costs.