Any plans to release the server side code as well?

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:02 PM
It's clear that the main Parsec server is experiencing some fairly heavy load, do you plan to release the server code to allow people to self host?
Coordinator
Oct 30, 2013 at 8:22 PM
This problem has been my main focus the past couple weeks and I am pursuing several options. Releasing the server side code and enabling self hosting brings with it some big headaches when it comes to support.

The server code is a .NET ASMX web service which is to be installed on an IIS web server. I am not sure how many people would be willing to invest in that kind of hosting platform. It is not like you can just run a server from your desktop.

Right now I am paying $7 per month to host the service and it is hitting the max number of concurrent connections at 500 during peak times of 3pm CST and 9pm CST Mon-Thurs. I am working with my hosting provider to increase this cap but they are pushing to sell me additional service at the next price point of $25 per month.

If they cannot lift the cap for $7 a month I am going to look at re-architecting the server side portion to be peer-to-peer for data transfers with a client-server for group registration.
Oct 30, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Well I'd probably be looking to re-engineer that to WCF given the choice but either way most guilds could host on Azure on a pay-per-use tariff that would cover that.
Does the back end do much beyond the raid logon and data distribution? If it's relatively lightweight I could have a look at working on a PHP port if that would be of use?
Coordinator
Oct 31, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Well they bumped me to 800 connections without charging me anything extra but they said this was the last time. Today during EU peak the site hit about 700 users.

This should give me some time to figure what to do about it.
Coordinator
Nov 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Wow... I had moved the asmx service to a WCF (BasicHttpBinding) service and the performance tanked. When 400 users were connected the response from the server was around 3000ms. With 700 users an asmx barely breaks 100ms. Looks like I am missing something in configuring a WCF service from a shared hosting environment.
Jan 29, 2014 at 9:42 AM
Hey,

I would also be very interested in the server code.

We use Parsec for raiding, and usually it works great. But now and then we bump into issues with server connections. And looking forward to NiM release etc, we would really like to remove any potential issues.

I'll take a closer look at the client code this weekend too.

And, thanks for the great work!
Jan 29, 2014 at 3:29 PM
And, I do understand your concern with any support when using self-hosting. I'm thinking it would pretty much mean "no support".

Anyway, it will require some thought to get right for sure.

These days I do a lot more work in PHP than C#, so like elaverick I could certainly implement a PHP port for server, which would also allow for inexpensive hosting.
Coordinator
Feb 5, 2014 at 5:29 PM
I am actively working with the code and my service provider to continue to support the growth of the application.

It really boils down to creating a revenue stream that can support the hosting cost of the service. And my focus right now is doing just that. I am working on a website that will allow sharing fights similar to TorParse. That website will have some ads on it that will hopefully support the server costs of itself and the service.

Right now I am depending on donations and this is not working too well. I have received a few donations but mostly I have paid for the hosting out of my pocket.

Currently, the hosting minimum requirements are a web/sql server with 1GB dedicated memory and 200GB up 200GB Down Bandwidth per month.

I have no plans to release any of the server code unless I stop development of the client.