[REQUEST] SOAP Server Address Option

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Hi!

Would it be possible to add an advanced option on the client to change the server address. It can of course be done by changing the existing code but it generates an inconvenience to users who may be required to install/maintain two or more version of Parsec on their systems.

Reasoning:
To encourage others to develop their own server-side code, with customization such as server data storage, etc... and also to possibly decrease your own server load/bandwidth usage.

Example:
We want to use Parsec for all our guild raids, but we want to store each fight statistics for later viewing and to associate the character data to our website users. At the moment the only way we can do this is have everyone download and install a modified version of the client.
Coordinator
Aug 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Edited Aug 27, 2013 at 2:54 PM
The soap end point is stored in the app.config file (which on a deployed system would be Parsec.config I believe). This can be changed on the client without changing the code.

That said, a more robust raid solution is on my list of improvements. The goal will be to balance traffic between a peer to peer style and a client server style. Also, sooner rather than later I plan to make raid statistics persist across sessions by storing raid data locally.
Aug 27, 2013 at 3:39 PM
It's in ParsecClient.exe.config.

Unfortunately this isn't in a trivial location (C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\YWPP45X1.X6Z\PNJGLKEE.RN3\pars..tion_64beb0e316f56ed6_0001.0000_92af807a8f24455a on my system) which makes it a bit hard for our tech impaired members. It also forces the users to change the file before launching the application and every time they need to change servers (e.g. raiding with another guild).

Ideally I see this as an option better suited for the raid group window. As on TS3 or Mumble you have the server you are connecting to, here you can have something like "connect to raid group X, on server Y, using password Z".

I do realize of course you put considerable effort in this parser (and in a very short time span). It jumped straight up to my favorite parser list and I see great potential on it. I understand you have future plans already drawn from it and I don't want to mess with those. That being said your work so far has been excellent and I look forward to the improvements you have in mind ;)